This traditional dish is believed to aid digestion and lactation as well as cleanse the uterus
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- ½ cup pure desi ghee
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp powdered carom seeds (ajwain)
- ¼ tsp dry ginger powder (saunth)
- A pinch of cardamom powder – optional
- Dry fruits (almonds, cashewnuts, raisins, walnuts) for garnishing – optional
- 150 ml filtered water
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed kadai.
- Add whole wheat flour and roast on medium flame until it turn golden brown and the ghee starts to separate.
- Now add carom seeds powder (ajwain powder) and dry ginger powder (saunth).
- Stir the mixture for a few minutes.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Pour 150 ml of water and mix well.
- Cook the mixture until it thickens to the consistency of halwa.
- Remove from the stove. Garnish the halwa with dry fruits and a pinch of cardamom powder.
- Serve hot.