A rich source of iron, calcium, fibre, carbohydrates and proteins, this dish makes for a wholesome breakfast option or evening snack.
- 250 ml skimmed or double-toned milk
- 50 gm broken wheat (dalia)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2 tsp sugar/powdered jaggery (gur)
- 1-2 cardamom (elaichi), seeds powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds (badaam)
- Few raisins (kishmish)
- Any other dry fruit of your choice – walnut, pistachio or cashews
Fry the broken wheat in 1 tsp of ghee till it turns golden brown. Keep aside. In a separate pan bring the milk to boil and add roasted broken wheat to it. Bring the mixture to a boil — stirring constantly. Simmer and let the mixture cook until the broken wheat turns soft. When cooked, add sugar or powdered jaggery. Mix well.Turn off the flame. Garnish with almonds, raisins and cardamom powder. Serve hot.
To cut out additional calories, skip the process of frying the broken wheat. Dry roast in a pan for about 1 minute stirring constantly and add to the milk. Proceed as above.