This popular dish is rich in protein, carbohydrates, folic acid and fibre.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup split yellow gram (moong dal)
- 3 ½ cups filtered water
- ½ cup fine chopped or grated bottle gourd (lauki)
- ½ cup fine chopped or grated carrot (gajar)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- A pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 4 peppercorn seeds (kali mirch)
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta) (optional)
- 4 cloves (laung) (optional)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Salt to taste
Wash the rice and dal well. Mix and soak in water for about 20 minutes. In a pressure cooker, heat ghee and add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds crackle, add asafetida, bay leaf, peppercorns and cloves. Add chopped/grated bottle gourd and carrot. Sauté the vegetables for a few minutes. Now add rice, dal, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix for about a minute or two. Add water to the mixture. Cook the khichri until the rice is well cooked. Serve hot with fresh curd and coriander or mint chutney.
For variation use vegetables of your choice. To make it more nutritious you may want to use home-made vegetable or chicken stock instead of water.